Friday, May 20, 2011

Starting the 5th wheel adventure!

OK, so you've made the decision with your significant other to rid yourselves of the worldly encumbrances of house, yard, garden and TAXES ( yes taxes not Texas).  You've made the decision but your family is not too sure about your sanity.  "Are you crazy?" they ask.  "What if you have a medical problem?".  "What about -"  this situation, that situation?  Questions, questions, questions.  Be ready with an answer.

What I mean is that you need to think this thing through.  It took us almost a year of thought before we knew we had most of the questions answered.  And most of ours are due to my medical issues.

For over 20 years I have lived with an adult on set form of Muscular Dystrophy called Polymyositis.  This is a disease where your body's immune system attacks your muscles (most commonly the shoulders, leg and arm muscles) causing weakness, swelling and pain.  Along with this I also have R.A. , Sjorgren's syndrome, lupus and urticaria.  All of these are due to my malfunctioning immune system.  Recently my doctor performed some more test because I wasn't responding to the medications that are normally used to treat the symptoms (nothing treats the diseases) of my diseases.  At our last meeting in January, I was told that my polymyositis has changed to what is called inclusion body myositis.  There is no know treatment for IBM but the worse part is that this disease attacks all your muscles.  My symptoms are that my fingers and hands are becoming "stiff" from the disease acting on them.

As you can realize that these diseases require doctor's appointments, medicine and lab tests.  So these requirements had to be worked out.  We were able to come up with solutions for all of these.  Meds are done through the retired military's EZ Scripts and they can mail them where ever.  Lab tests can be done anywhere and faxed to the doctor.  And I will see my doctors twice a year when we are back in our home area.

Hope I haven't bored you too much with all of this.  But maybe I've got you started thinking about those items that YOU need to have answers for before you head out on the road.  Next - how we slid into our 5th wheel choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment