Wednesday, August 17, 2011

When it works it's great, when it doesn't .....

We've had problems with our DRV Mobile Suite since we picked it up three weeks ago.  First it was the power to the back up camera, "No TX Power", the error code says.  Then it was various lights not working I.E. turn signals failing, break lights on constantly and then running lights flashing.  So I obtained a wiring diagram for the lights converter in the trailer and checked it out.  It worked fine.

Next I went to the truck and checked the 7 pin plugs, the one at the bumper (factory) and the one in the bed (wired by the hitch installer).  Guess what one has problems?  Yep , you guessed right, the one wired by the hitch installer.  Seems he used those inline clamp on connectors that then gives you a spade connector off the side for another circuit.  Those things are known POS.  Any professional electrical person knows this, but the dealer says: "We use them all the time".  Well Not on my truck, you're not.


So any how, I'm wiring the truck up and I look out the side and see two sneakers at the end of khaki pants.  "Hi, I'm Ernie from next door."  Can I help?"  Well no, I don't think two of us can get under here, but thanks for offering.  As I went on working he told me about his tools and he had all kinds of crimp connectors if I needed them, etc. etc.  Some people are really nice.  Offer to help even when there's no possibility of them being able too.  He was about 80, so getting down on the ground and under the truck just wasn't in the cards.

When I took a break to let my arms rest, we had a nice talk.  He has always done his own work on his Suburban, on his Avion trailer and everything else.  He has been in the same RV park during the summer for 20 years.  A real fixture in the park.  It's nice that he's there, he can help people who have problems as he has seen almost everything go wrong in those 20 years.  So here's a tip of the hat to Ernie - sorry I didn't have something you could work on!

No comments:

Post a Comment